Salem Woman's Service Club

Proud member of the GFWC ~ General Federation of Women's Clubs
and the OFWC ~ Oregon Federation of W​omen's Clubs
 
Serving Salem, Oregon since 1934
OFWC ~ The Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs
​The OFWC Mission

The Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs is a volunteer organization dedicated to improving the lives of others through education, community improvement and volunteer service.
​​The OFWC Story

In 1899, the Portland Woman's Club asked for the help of other Women's Clubs in Oregon to develop and support legislation for a state library.  Thirteen clubs came together to work on the project.  These thirteen clubs were founding members of the Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs.  In 1901, the Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs became affiliated with the General Federation of Women's Clubs in Washington DC and joined other women's clubs across the country in advocating for public libraries.  The newly organized Oregon Federation of Women’s Clubs began a vigorous campaign to develop and secure the passage of a Library bill in the Oregon Legislature.  Most local libraries in Oregon owe their founding to the untiring efforts of local Women’s Clubs. 

Another early concern of the Federation was child labor. The OFWC had a prominent part in obtaining the passage of Oregon’s first child labor law. Members worked to ensure that the law provided for the majority of the Labor Board to be women.  The governor appointed three prominent OFWC women to this first board.

Clubwomen played a major role in the creation of the statue of Sacajawea at the 1905 Lewis and Clark fair.  The statue now stands in Portland's Washington Park.  In 1921, clubwomen across Oregon helped raise enough funds to secure a Women's Building (Gerlinger Hall) at the University of Oregon.  In 1941, clubwomen raised $20,000 to fund a bed at Doernbecker Children's Hospital.  The War Bond drives from 1943-1946 raised over $1.4 million from clubwomen across the country to “Buy a Bomber”.  After the devastating Tillamook Burn in 1953, the Oregon Federation adopted 152 acres in the burn area, which they replanted with 978,000 seedling firs.  A roadside marker on Highway 26 about 40 miles west of Portland is placed at the site.  In 1968, efforts began to raise money for a swimming pool at Hillcrest School for Girls.  The pool was completed in 1970 and in 1977, money raised allowed a pool cover to be built.  

​The motto “Growth Through Service” was adopted May 20, 1965, at the 50th State Convention.  

Today, with 14 clubs in the state of Oregon,  women of all ages, interests and experience belong to the Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs.  Hundreds of women are serving their communities and forming deep connections with each other and other members of the community.  Each woman can find her areas of particular interest and truly embody the motto, "Growth Through Service."

OFWC has three scholarship programs that are supported by club members throughout the state.  The Scholarship, Loan and Fellowship Fund provides a scholarship to a survivor of domestic violence in Oregon.  The Fine Arts Scholarship Fund offers scholarships to Oregon high school seniors in the areas of art, music and writing.  The Saidie Orr Dunbar Nursing Education Fund offers a scholarship to students enrolled in an Oregon nursing program with an emphasis on public health.

Learn more about the Oregon Federation of Women's Clubs